From my dad, I got thick thighs, dry wit, introversion and an anxiety disorder. From my mom I got autoimmune disease, many of my facial features and my compulsive need for order.
Let’s back up to the autoimmune disease.
My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and her brother has MS. Autoimmune diseases tend to be hereditary, often, a parent with one type of autoimmune disease will have a child with a different one.
So instead of getting my mom’s long, leggy body, I got fibromyalgia and IBS. YAY!
I often go to bed aching to the bone from pelvis to toes. I look forward to bed because at least the pain isn’t so bad as to prevent sleep – when it’s especially annoying, some ibuprofen usually does the trick. And then I wake up with prickly, achy feet and prickly hands. The pain of fibromyalgia is odd, and for me, not debilitating, but it is highly annoying and eats up a big chunk of the beginning and ends of most of my days.
The Women of The Harry Potter Universe | Canonball.
“She doesn’t end up with the hero; she is not there to be Harry’s love interest. She is a total badass despite her prim & proper reputation. So often, female characters are allowed to be aggressive or rebellious, but in exchange are stripped of traditionally feminine qualities & are forced to pick up masculine traits. Hermione is never made to do that. She is written to be highly logical AND emotionally expressive, a combination not afforded to today’s leading ladies.”
I always loved Hermione for this reason. She is so much like me. I would read the books and watch the movies and repeatedly think, “That’s what I would do!” or “That’s how I would behave!” or “OMG she’s just like me!”. Even as an adult, I found renewed inspiration to be fully feminine and fully badass in a fictional teenage girl.
Since we introverts process internally, we can keep our feelings close to the vest and be hard to read. Then, when provoked, there’s a possibility we will unleash with a response that seems disproportionate to the situation (I speak from personal experience!). It’s healthy to have an outlet (family, friends, journals, etc) that gives us a safe space to process emotions externally… letting what’s happening inside OUT will help prevent implosion *and* explosion!
This happens to me less now that I know this about myself but it used to be (sadly) quite frequent.
As an alto sax player myself, I will admit I was quite tickled when Shayel decided she wanted to play the saxophone. I was also glad to hear there aren’t that many kids playing the sax – which surprised me, when I started it was the most popular instrument I think. In the words of her music instructor “she seems quite keen” (oh Canadians and their awesome words). I’m excited for her to dive into the world of music this year and find her place – wherever it might be. She’s also planning to do choir which I’m sure she will enjoy. She has a wonderful musical ear so it’s really just a matter of her discovering where she best expresses herself.
Yesterday Aliyah complained about a sore throat, this morning she has a full blown chest cold. Not even a week into school. Sigh. Aliyah’s chest colds are scary too, they tend to send her to the ER with breathing problems from so much coughing. Fingers crossed for a fast recovery. Poor lovey.
Today was just hot enough to head to the beach with swimming in mind. The water was the coldest I’ve felt it all summer but David and the girls braved it anyway.
David and I created nerd playlists tonight…cuz…well…it's kind of self explanatory 😉
Here's mine, in no particular order
- Why Does the Sun Really Shine? – They Might Be Giants
- Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) – They Might Be Giants
- Big Bang Theory Theme – Barenaked Ladies
- Carmina Burana: Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (II): O Fortuna
- Star Trek (Main Theme)
- Firefly Main Theme
- Star Wars Main Title
- Colonial Anthem – Theme from Battlestar Galactica
- Battlestar Galactica Main Title
- SG-1 Main Title
- Istanbul – They Might Be Giants
- Theme from "Greatest American Hero" (Believe It or Not)
- Batman: the Dark Knight
- Doctor Who Theme (TV Version) – Murray Gold & BBC National Orchestra of Wales
- The Doctor's Theme
- Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Arc
- River's Dance, Firefly
- Torchwood Theme
- The X-Files
- Space Girl – The Imagined Village
- We Are the Champions – Jonathan Coulton
- De-Evolving – Jonathan Coulton
- The Princess Who Saved Herself – Jonathan Coulton
- The Presidents – Jonathan Coulton
- Code Monkey – Jonathan Coulton
- Skullcrusher Mountain – Jonathan Coulton
- Roy G. Biv – They Might Be Giants
- My Freeze Ray – Neil Patrick Harris (Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long)
- Everyone's a Hero – Nathan Fillion (Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long)
- The Time Warp – Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Science Fiction / Double Feature – Rocky Horror Picture Show
- The Bridge Of Khazad Dum – Lord of the Rings
- Concerning Hobbits – Lord of the Rings
- The Breaking of the Fellowship – Lord of the Rings